Join Our Team
BCS is pleased to announce that we will be hosting multiple testing opportunities for all individuals interested in getting involved in the sport of skeleton.
|Ottawa, ON||Saturday, September 16||12:30 - 2:30 PM||Terry Fox Athletic Park|
|Calgary, AB||Saturday, September 30||11:30 - 12:30 PM||Winsport - Icehouse|
|Richmond, BC||Tuesday, October 17||3:30 - 5:30 PM||Richmond Olympic Oval|
Start Your Journey in Bobsleigh or Skeleton
Do you have what it takes to become a champion? Bobsleigh Canada Skeleton (BCS) is a renowned organization with a proud history of success at all levels of competition, from the IBSF World Cup to World Championships and the ultimate achievement of representing Canada at the Olympic Games. We are constantly striving to deepen our pool of athletes, and searching for the next generation of sliding athletes who are passionate about teamwork, perseverance, and achieving success on the international stage.
Benefits of Joining the Program
As part of BCS, you will have access to:
- Elite-level coaching: our experienced coaches are dedicated to developing athletes to their full potential while helping them achieve their performance goals.
- International exposure: our program provides opportunities for athletes to compete on the international stage, representing Canada against the world's best.
- World-leading training facilities: BCS has access to state-of-the-art training facilities in Calgary that enable athletes to hone their skills utilizing the Winsport Icehouse – a push training facility - to prepare for competitions.
- A supportive team environment: our program emphasizes the importance of teamwork, collaboration, and mutual support, creating a positive and uplifting environment for athletes to grow and thrive.
Joining BCS is easier than ever with our revamped recruitment process. Here are the steps:
- Submit your athlete bio and physical testing results on the GMTM website. Our National Team Recruitment Coordinator will review your submission and contact you with more information.
- Connect with a bobsleigh or skeleton Provincial Sport Organization (PSO) to learn more about training groups, physical testing, and sliding opportunities. If your province does not have a bobsleigh or skeleton PSO, our recruitment coordinator can provide alternative training opportunities near you.
- Attend PSO testing camps and submit your results. Results from PSO testing camps will be considered when inviting athletes to National Team Prospect camps.
- Attend National Team Prospect camps. If you meet the requirements and demonstrate potential, you may be invited to attend further team selection opportunities (i.e. icehouse or on-ice sliding etc.).
|Recruitment Season - Overview|
|April - August (Off - Season) - Recruitment Period / Dryland Training / National Team Camps|
|August - October (Pre - Season) - National Team Testing (Calgary) & National Team On - Ice Evaluation|
|October / November - National Team Selection|
|November - March (Sliding Season) - In - Season Competitions, Physical Training, etc.|
Don't miss out on the opportunity to join one of Canada's most successful sports organizations. Submit your athlete bio and physical testing results today, and start your journey to becoming a champion!
Be a Part of Team Canada Today!
Joe Cecchini - Skeleton (email@example.com)
Esther Dalle (firstname.lastname@example.org)
Physical Testing Standards
*Height and Weight are guidelines only
SLJ - Standing Long Jump
UHF - Underhand Forward Throw
Medicine ball (Men:5kg, Women:4kg)
What happens during National Testing?
- Answer: The BCS team will put you through physical testing (Absolute Strength, Elastic Strength & Speed). You will also get an introduction to pushing a sled on ice in the ice-house, and you will start to push with potential future teammates.
What is National Team on-ice Evaluation?
- Here, you will get the opportunity to experience a real bobsleigh ride down a track! This is a time for learning and teamwork. The on-ice evaluation usually takes place in Whistler, BC.
Are my costs covered?
- The cost of attending National Testing in Calgary is fully the responsibility of the athlete. BCS will provide coaching, facility access, etc.
- The cost of attending National Team on-ice evaluation is often the responsibility of the athlete, depending on BCS's budget. Sometimes BCS can help arrange logistics and/or cover some costs.
- BCS covers some costs associated with the Sliding Season once you are named a National Team Athlete.
- *There may be some additional costs associated with sliding preparation, which will be communicated ahead of time by BCS*
What does National Team Selection mean?
- Congratulations! This means that you have been nominated to be a national team athlete! This will involve signing an Athlete Agreement and also makes you eligible for some funding (called Sport Canada Carding).
- Being selected for the National Team means you will be involved in various National Team activities, including on-ice training, competing on a tour, off-season national team camps, off-season dryland training opportunities, off-season ice-house opportunities, etc.
How do I get selected to the National Team?
- National Team selection is based on the current season's Selection Criteria, which can be found on the BCS website.